What better way to start your Friday than with our weekly round-up of some of the many sweet treats we’ve eaten this week at home and abroad. Here’s five of our favourites.
1. Helen’s no longer the cook at the cattle station in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. This means she’s back in the yard being a Jillaroo which of course, can be dangerous. Unfortunately Helen has wound up in hospital after being horned by a bull. After being monitored for 24 hours she should hopefully be out by now. We said she should do reviews on Australian hospitals instead of restaurants. A friend baked some banana bread for her and wow does it look good! Love a bit of banana bread myself. Southsea Coffee Co do a lovely one and also Brickwood Coffee & Bread in Clapham, London too. You can bake it yourself using Helen’s recipe.
2. A lovely meal was had at Le Prieuré in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, a Michelin one star restaurant which Geoff and I visited whilst in the South of France. This dessert was mango marinated with passionfruit served with a coconut sorbet.
3. I think I’ve posted a photo very similar to this before because whenever I visit Fred’s (aka The Anvil and Just in Case) in Bishops Waltham this is what I always have, slightly warmed pear & butterscotch tart. Yum. Great coffee too. I love cycling to Fred’s where I can sit in the sun-trap garden out the back and keep an eye on my bike. The staff are very friendly.
4. My sister bought these Caramac Buttons from Nestlé for me. She asked me to look out for them and neither of us could find them anywhere for ages. She eventually found them at the Pound Shop. I had already opened the bag and tried a few before she’d reached the end of my road. I haven’t had Caramac for donkey’s years but I did enjoy them, my sister too. It appears we’re in the minority though, lots of people are moaning about them on social media.
5. On Sunday morning Geoff and I went to Cheese & Cheers in Osborne Road Southsea for a coffee and a pastry. We each shared a pain au chocolat and a pain au chocolat et almond.
Loving life love cake