Delicious Banana Bread
This has to be the ultimate banana bread recipe! I had to make my own buttermilk as like most people, it’s not something we have in the cupboard but that was relatively easy and shouldn’t put you off. Just add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and leave to stand for 5 minutes. I used apple cider vinager. My first loaf was so delicious I haven’t risked using something else just incase it would effect the taste!
- 3 very ripe extra large bananas
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking/bi-carb soda
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 114g softened butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter milk (I made my own by combining 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- Grease and flour loaf tin
- In bowl, mash bananas and add lemon juice
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking/bi-card soda
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugars
- Beat in eggs until combined
- Fold in bananas
- Add vanilla and buttermilk and beat until combined
- Add you dry mixture to you wet mixture and stir until the flour is combined. Be careful not to over stir!
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 mintues or until skewer comes out reasonably clean.
- Leave in the tin to cool for 5 mintues, this will leave it to cook for a little longer. Brush too with butter and transfer to rack to cool completely.
Enjoy with or without butter, both equally as delicious!