What better way to start your Friday than with our weekly round-up of some of the many sweet treats we’ve eaten this week. Here’s five of our favourites! Clockwise from L-R
1. Helen’s first blog post from Melbourne, Australia was on Naughty Boy café, Carlton North. She enjoyed this lovely mixed nuts, salted caramel & chocolate slice along with several other really delicious dishes, which are all featured in the post. Check it out.
2. I had one of these tasty Ricciarelli biscuits from Arden & Amici (available from Waitrose) at my Italian friend’s house. Ricciarelli are a traditional Italian biscuit which originate from the Tuscan city of Sienna (a lovely place), dating back to the 14th century. Made with ground almonds and decorated with icing sugar, it’s nice to have a little something sweet after a meal and these are just perfect. I thought they tasted a little orangey whereas Catia thought they were more lemony. Neither is included amongst the ingredients though. Definitely something I shall be buying for Christmas, I already have a tin of their Soft Ameretti biscuits in the Christmas goodies cupboard – if they last that long 😉
3. Good old Waitrose, another product from their store in this week’s sweet treats is their mini mince pie selection box, containing nine altogether. Three almond topped pies with almond & ameretto mincemeat, three orange crumble topped pies with orange & cranberry mincemeat and my favourite (being half Scottish), three ecclefechan tarts. This box was also in the Christmas cupboard, but alas, has not lasted a week.
4. This fudge cake wasn’t actually consumed by myself but a fellow cyclist whilst out for our club ride at the weekend – I just drooled as I watched him eat it, poor fellow. A miserable rainy day we ended up at Pebbles at Stokes Bay, Gosport for elevenses. I was trying to be good so had toast which was burnt but hidden upside down so I wouldn’t notice 😉 Yeah, right. The cake however, was light & moist but my friend thought it was perhaps factory made and not home-made, although it looked it.
5. The Wheelwright Arms in Havant was last Friday’s lunch date with my husband Geoff. We had a lovely meal there and this was my dessert of pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice-cream and a divinely tasting caramel sauce.
Living life, loving cake,