What better way to start your Friday than with our weekly round-up of some of the many sweet treats we’ve eaten this week. Here’s five of our favourites! Clockwise from top left:
1. Bamboo cake from Cambodia. The correct name is Kralan and is a rice dish made of sticky rice with red beans, sugar, grated coconut and coconut milk roasted in specially-prepared bamboo sections of different diameters and lengths. (Google). Read Helen’s latest adventures travelling around Asia. (Does anyone see a face in that photo??).
2. A lovely moist and fresh carrot cake from Capers Cafe in Southsea where I had a lovely brunch last Sunday. You can read what I thought here. It must have been good because I’m returning today for lunch with my good friend, Catia.
3. After a morning of cycling I got to earn a Malteser cupcake from Swallow Bakery in Chichester plus a nice coffee. Fresh and delicious with plenty of butter frosting. Yum.
4. Gü chocolate soufflés. Divine! Pop them into the oven for 13 minutes and it’s like liquid chocolate.
5. An enormous meringue with a fresh cream centre and topped with a strawberry from the Tutti Pole in Hungerford. Another dessert earned by some high mileage upon the bike. After enjoying some baked beans on toast half way round our ride (in the sunshine!!) – one we do once a year – I couldn’t resist taking a meringue away with me for later as I’ve had one in previous years and know they taste rather good. Luckily my husband has a larger saddle bag than I but it still got smashed up mainly due to the potholes. Still tasted marvellous though!
Living life, loving cake!
H & A x