Not many people have tried a friand which is a little like a muffin but with a different consistency, more like an almond finger – remember those back in the day? Us kids used to have them in our lunch boxes if we were lucky. Fresh raspberries would have gone perfectly in these but all I had was frozen berries, which worked fine also. You can try apples, nuts and almost anything! Be careful not to over-bake like I did, they will harden as they cool.
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 180g melted butter
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 5 unbeaten egg whites
- 1/2 cup berries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Grease muffin tin with spray oil or butter. Pre-heat oven to 200c.
- In a bowl, mix icing sugar, almond meal and flour
- Add unbeaten egg whites and mix lightly
- Stir in melted butter and chocolate chips until combined
- Pour mixture in muffin tins and press down berries into the top of the mixture
- Sprinkle rolled oats on top
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake as they will harden in the tin
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Dust with icing sugar if desired