What better way to start your Friday than with our weekly round-up of some of the many sweet treats we’ve eaten this week in England and Australia. Here’s five of our favourites! Clockwise from L-R:
1. Helen and her colleague enjoying some blondies baked by Helen for ‘smoko‘, an Australian outback cattle station speciality. Not feeling like much to eat at 4.30 in the morning when they arise to start work, they want something mid morning, one savoury snack and one sweet. You can read her recent blog post including recipes of dishes she’s baked (not this one alas).
2. Here’s another bake of Helen’s which is a Victoria sponge birthday cake for her boss on the cattle station, a recipe which I gave her and have been using for donkeys years for birthday cakes.
3. I recently visited Sant-Yago in Clarendon road, Southsea, with my husband Geoff, son Peter and his girlfriend Sophie for my birthday. We had a great evening with some really tasty tapas and excellent service. This dessert was their crumble served with vanilla ice-cream.
4. At the weekend Geoff and I paid a visit to Brighton where we had a coffee and cake at Ella’s Yummy Delights on Queens Road. This Ferrerro Rocher cheesecake was humongous! and filled us up for a few hours. Later in the afternoon we tried to get into TheWitchEZ not far from the pier where we had a fabulous meal not so long ago but they couldn’t fit us in until later and Geoff was hungry NOW! Why can men not wait? Grrr! We ended up in a tapas bar which wasn’t great.
5. This dessert was amazingly spectacular – more so to look at unfortunately. This is from Om Nom Kitchen & Dessert Bar at the Adelphi Hotel in Melbourne and the photo’s just don’t do it justice but it was quite dark so we couldn’t get a good one. If you look at their Facebook page they have a much better photo. This came with a glass cloche over it and was like a garden with flowers and a ladybird. This is their best seller called the Chocolaterrarium; cinnamon sugared churros, chocolate ‘gravel’, pistachio + chocolate sponge, chocolate ice-cream, valhrona manjari 64% mousse+ milk foam. Definitely worth a visit.
Living life, loving cake